Friday, November 21, 2008

Our Dream Kitchen

I can't stop thinking about our kitchen. I go to bed thinking about it. I wake up thinking about it. Right now it's a blank canvas. We can do anything we want with it. Well maybe only in the land where money grows on trees, but you know what I mean. It's very exciting. The kitchen came with absolutely no appliances and a set of ugly, cheap cabinets, so we have to pick out everything. I found some great Frigidaire appliances that all have a retro feel to them, although they're defiantly not antique looking. It's funny how the older things look, the more expensive they are. I'd love to have antique appliances, but that's WAY out of our budget. My mom has supplied me with enough magazine clippings to last a year, but I'm learning we have very similar tastes which makes researching much easier for me. I bought a great book called Bungalow Kitchens that is full of beautiful, inspiring picture of restored bungalow kitchens. Our kitchen obviously isn't going to be obsessively restored to an original state, but I would like to keep that old bungalow feel. Here are some of my magazine inspirations:

I want wood counter tops and black and white tile floors (not painted wood floors like this picture though).

I LOVE everything about this kitchen, especially the colors.

I like the subway tiles for the bachsplash.

I like the feel of this old kitchen.

Another favorite. Can you tell I like green?

This is what the kitchen looked like when we bought the house.

Our fridge!!

Our dishwasher
Our stove. (it's got a convection oven!)

Apron sink from Ikea (there's a single bowl one that I want, cause this might be too large)

6 comments:

LJ, DC and ML said...

Hey Ashley! Molly sent my your link, since she knew how incredibly jealous it would make me. Your house is SO cute, I'm in love.
Sure does make me miss my dad, your Dads are doing a GREAT job. Congratulations!

Ashley C. said...

Aw! It's so exciting to have a non-family member read the blog! Molly showed me your blog too. It's great seeing what other people are doing with their houses.

Molly said...

Awwww. And I'm excited you two found each other! :)

Ashley--I LOVE the green colors in all those pictures! Makes me want to paint my kitchen. But after the hole in the water pipe, I'm not about to push my manager too far...

Cheryl said...

Ashley! Your house is so cute. I can't wait to see how it progresses. I love that it's a Carter family project. Where is Amy, though? :) Do you ever look at Apartment Therapy's blog? They have some cool kitchen tours here:
http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/home-tours

Ashley said...

Those are all beautiful. I love your oven and the Ikea sink.

Ashley C. said...

Thanks Cheryl! That website is great. Maybe I can put my kitchen on there some day!